Rabbit Care in Cary, NC
Routine Wellness Exams, Sick Exams, Nail Trimming and Routine Surgeries for Domestic Rabbits
Animal Kingdom Veterinary Hospital highly recommends spaying and neutering for the health and longevity of your rabbit companion. We can spay or neuter rabbits starting at around six months of age, depending on breed. If you are unsure of you rabbit's age or gender, we offer free gender checks by technician appointment.
Rabbit pre and post surgical care differs from that of other species. Unlike cats and dogs, rabbits do NOT need to fast prior to surgery. In fact, we want to make sure their gut keeps moving. We offer and encourage eating as soon as they are awake enough. Please bring a goodie bag to their surgery drop off appointment that includes:
- a small amount of their pellets (1-2 tablespoons)
- some of their hay (handful)
- favorite greens and/or fruits
Healing time after surgery is generally 7-10 days. During this time pets need to be kept confined to a small cage or room indoors. Sorry, no bunny "binkies" allowed. Rabbits generally do not require a cone or e-collar, but we do recommend checking the incision site daily for swelling or discharge.
General Care Resources
Please feel free to give us a call or e-mail with any rabbit care questions. Some of our favorite online resources include:
- The House Rabbit Society - Https://Rabbit.Org/
- Triangle Rabbits Rescue - Https://Www.Trianglerabbits.Org/
- Rabbit Speak - https://rabbitresource.org/care-and-health/behavior/how-to-speak-rabbit/
- Veterinary Partner Article on Diet - Https://Veterinarypartner.Vin.Com/Default.Aspx?Pid=19239&Id;=5262547
- Webinar - "Bunny Bonding Basics"
- Webinar - "G.I. Stasis: What Every Rabbit Caretaker Needs to Know" -